WILMINGTON, NC – Novant Health and New Hanover Regional Medical Center (NHRMC) are proud to highlight multiple achievements within the first 100 days of their partnership.
NHRMC officially joined Novant Health on Feb. 1, 2021, opening new opportunities for collaboration and growth as well as additional medical education and clinical capabilities through an expansion of NHRMC’s relationship with UNC Health and UNC School of Medicine.
Since the integration on Feb. 1, accomplishments include the following:
- Since joining Novant Health, NHRMC recently welcomed 16 new students to its UNC School of Medicine’s Wilmington Campus. This is the largest cohort of students we have hosted since becoming a branch campus. Novant Health looks forward to continuing to expand the program to train more physicians in the future.
- Novant Health announced a $10 million gift from Michael Jordan to open two medical clinics in New Hanover County. The clinics will mirror two similar locations in Charlotte, which bring comprehensive primary care, including behavioral health and social support services, to the area’s most vulnerable communities. Once open, the new clinics will offer much-needed services to those who are uninsured or underinsured.
- NHRMC adopted the Novant Health financial assistance policy, providing more robust assistance to those who need it most, by increasing qualification for a 100% write-off from 200% to 300% of the federal poverty level. For example, an uninsured family of four with an annual income $78,600 or lower does not receive a medical bill under the policy.
- Novant Health extended its $15 per hour healthy community wage to all eligible NHRMC team members. The roughly $3 million investment directly supports approximately 1,100 team members and their families.
- The health system launched a listening tour to hear from our NHRMC team members and neighbors about how we can better serve all members of our diverse community.
- In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Novant Health and NHRMC have worked together to vaccinate community members, especially by bringing vaccinations to those with limited access to care.
- NHRMC has adopted Novant Health’s mission, vision and values, including the mission of existing “to improve the health of our communities, one person at a time.”
- Together, Novant Health and NHRMC are continuing missional and outreach work and are excited to announce the launch of the Coastal Region Community Engagement Advisory Council, an inclusive group of community leaders and residents in Brunswick, New Hanover and Pender Counties who will partner with Novant Health and NHRMC leadership to inform and support community engagement goals. Committed to honoring community voice in our pursuit of health equity, Novant Health and NHRMC have completed a clean-up and minor repairs at the Creekwood Community Center which temporarily closed due to COVID-19 and committed $15,000 to bring a farmers market to a longtime food desert in the Wilmington Northside neighborhood. Additional projects have included raising the walls on the 10th Habitat house for an NHRMC team member and Novant Health serving as the title sponsor for NSEA Swim’s “Sprint for Swimclusion” 5K.
- Coming in mid-June, Novant Health and NHRMC are implementing Viz.ai, a software platform that utilizes artificial intelligence to synchronize stroke care and reduce delays that can stand between patients and life-saving treatments.
“Novant Health is already proving to be the strong partner we envisioned for New Hanover Regional Medical Center,” said John Gizdic, Novant Health executive vice president and chief business development officer. “We are all committed to fulfilling our promise to improve care for all and we are well on our way to achieving our vision.”
“I’m so pleased with what our teams have accomplished together in these first weeks and months. We are truly remarkable together,” said Carl S. Armato, president and CEO of Novant Health. “We know the community will see the benefits of this partnership far into the future and I look forward to continuing our work together to improve the health of those in southeastern North Carolina.”
For more information on Novant Health’s partnership with NHRMC, visit NovantHealth.org/NHRMC.