Update Your Information
Use remote access to log in to Infor Global HR (available through CapsLive) and review and/or change your benefits information.
Novant Health New Hanover Regional Medical Center supports employees by offering tuition assistance to help them advance their skills and education.
You are eligible to apply for the Tuition Assistance program if you meet all criteria below:
- Have completed 90 days of employment
- Are an active full-time or part-time employee regularly scheduled to work 20 hours or more (> 0.5 FTE) per week
- Are pursuing a course of study at an accredited university or college that leads to licensure, degree, and or meets the criteria of business or operational necessity related to your current position or another position within NHRMC
- Currently not under active, written disciplinary action prior to approval
To be eligible for reimbursement, courses and certifications must meet the following guidelines:
- Must be from an accredited university or college
- Must be a course of study that leads to licensure or degree
- Courses for credit, including Internet courses, are eligible if they are clinical courses; are non-clinical, but essential to the Medical Center's operation; will maintain or improve the skills required of the employee in his/her work; will meet the requirements for assuming greater responsibilities within the organization; will enhance the employee's potential for advancement to a position which the employee has a reasonable expectation of achieving
- Courses can be classroom, video-based, distance learning, web bases, and e-learning
- Non-credit courses that are required as a past of the curriculum leading to a degree or initial certification will be considered on a case-by-case basis subject to approval by the respective Vice President and Human Resources
- Re-certifications, correspondence courses, seminars, conferences and computer software courses (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, Access) are not covered under the Tuition Assistance Policy
What is Covered
This program provides reimbursement up to $3,000 per calendar year for:
- Initial certification exams
- Initial certification prep courses
Additional fees, travel expenses, recertification, taxes or shipping costs are not covered through the program.
If you are interested in participating in the program, you should first discuss your professional development plan with your supervisor. Once you and your supervisor have approved a course or courses that are related to you current job or will enable continued career growth at NHRMC, you and your supervisor should complete and submit the Tuition Assistance Application.
Tuition Assistance Applications must be signed by employee and employee's supervisor. Incomplete applications or applications received after the course begins or after a certification exam will not be approved.
Contact the HR Solutions Center at (910) 667-6000 for assistance.
Steps prior to the first day of class:
- Employee fills out Tuition Assistance Application for Approval and submits to supervisor for approval and signature
- Employee submits signed and completed application to Benefits - a new application is necessary for each semester
- Benefits approves/denies application
- Benefits sends confirmation email to employee and supervisor with preliminary approval amount, a Tuition Reimbursement Request Form, and instructions for what to do after the course is completed
You can receive your reimbursement in advance, or within 30 days after you complete the course(s) or exam. Full completion and approval of your Tuition Assistance Application is required. After your application has been approved, you will need to submit the following to be reimbursed for tuition, exam fees and books. We do not reimburse for student fees, technology fees, exam fees, parking fees, taxes, shipping costs, etc.
- Completed Tuition Reimbursement Request Form
- Book receipts
- Itemized invoices
- Registration form
- Class schedule
- Syllabus with required texts
Within 30 days of course end date:
- Submit to Benefits your proof of grades, or certification and receipts for payment including any grant or assistance information
- All proof of expenses must be approved
Within 4 weeks of receipt of all required items:
- Benefits reviews and approves documentation
- Benefits sends confirmation to payroll for reimbursement/advancement
- Benefits will email you when the process is complete
Send information to:
NHNHRMC Human Resources Benefits
Employee Tuition Assistance Program Administrator
Fax: (910) 815-5969
- You must receive a grade of C or better for undergraduate courses, B or better for graduate courses, and a P grade Pass/Fail courses, and a pass for certification exams.
- Employees receiving tuition assistance who do not successfully complete the course or pass the certification exam will not be eligible for additional advancement or reimbursement until the initial advancement has been repaid. Re-payment of incomplete advances will be taken out of your paycheck.
You must agree to remain at NHNHRMC for two years following reimbursement. If you terminate employment (either voluntary or involuntary) you must repay the medical center as follows:
- The full amount of tuition assistance paid to employee in the 12 months preceding their termination date, and/or
- Half of the full amount of tuition assistance paid to the employee in the 13-24 month period preceding their termination date
Tuition Assistance benefits will be credited to the calendar year in which the course was completed.
By accepting Tuition Assistance, you expressly authorize NHNHRMC to withhold repayment amounts from any amounts owed to you (including, but not limited to your paycheck or unused accrued PDO.) If you fail to make any required repayment and the Medical Center takes action to recover the repayment obligation, you agree to pay the fees incurred by NHNHRMC in pursuing recovery.
This service payback requirement is not an employment contract and does not obligate NHNHRMC to provide continued employment to any person.
Tuition Assistance is considered taxable income for undergraduate and graduate programs in excess of $5,250 annually, as determined by Internal Revenue Service (IRS) guidelines.
Tuition Assistance is distributed in your scheduled paycheck tax-free.