NHRMC will provide financial assistance for patients who receive medically necessary services and meet the eligibility requirements under the Charity care policy, available below. If eligible for financial assistance, patients will receive a 100% discount or free care. The financial assistance program does not cover elective services.
Charity Care Policy
How do I apply?
Financial assistance applications are available below. Be sure to follow the Instructions on the financial application form for submitting your completed application.
Completed applications can be sent to the following:
Novant Health New Hanover Regional Medical Center
Patient Financial Services
PO Box 9000
Wilmington, NC 28402
Am I eligible?
In order to qualify for financial assistance, the patient must:
- Be uninsured or, in certain circumstances, have limited insurance coverage
- Be unable to access other programs that would cover medical expenses
- Not have substantial cash assets
- Not have declined health insurance through an employer
- Not be ineligible for government sponsored coverage because of noncompliance with requirements
- Be considered medically necessary (generally defined as urgent or emergent)
- Live in the Novant Health service area
- Not have an annual family income of 300% of current federal poverty guidelines.
- Submit application and supporting documents to the hospital business office or financial counseling department
How will I know if I've been approved?
Once all requested documents are received the application will be reviewed. An approved or denial letter will be mailed. This documentation must be updated every six months, or when the patient's income or circumstances change. Each visit within the six month period will be reviewed for potential access to other programs.
This policy only applies to services rendered at a Novant Health facility. It does not apply to services rendered by any independent physicians or practitioners that are not employed by Novant Health. This includes, but is not limited to, anesthesiologists, radiologists and pathologists.